Wheat and White Bread With Toasted Walnuts and Golden Raisins

"I'm going to go home and bake bread from scratch," I told the checkout person, as I plunked a bag of whole wheat flour on the counter.
"Wow!" she exclaimed with a smile.
The woman behind me was listening to our conversation. A wistful look came across her face. "I haven't had homemade bread in years," she shared.
For some reason I felt like baking yeast bread. Although my mother made quick breads, she never made yeast breads. "Yeast scares me," she admitted. Before I became my disabled husband's primary caregiver, I used to make bread often: French bread, round Cheddar loaves, unusual tomato bread, and dill bread with cottage cheese in it.
Making bread from scratch is a satisfying experience. The original recipe for this bread was on the back of a flour sack. Since I found it the recipe has been through many variations. I use half wheat and half white flour. I use dry, quick-rise yeast. I add sugar-free instant oatmeal for a hint of sweetness. A few golden raisins also give the bread extra flavor.
Believe me when I tell you this bread tastes good with almost anything. I serve it with spaghetti, steak, pork chops, and chicken. It tastes good toasted and you may wish to sprinkle it with a bit of sugar. Your efforts yield two loaves, one for immediate use, and one for the freezer.
After the dough has risen, shape the dough into two round loaves about an inch high. Do not bake this bread in a large loaf pan because you may have a wet patch in the middle. Small, round loaves work best. You also have the option of creating one large round loaf. Substitute sliced almonds if a family member is allergic to walnuts.
INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup shopped walnuts
1 packet dry, quick-rise yeast
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 cup warm water from tap
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups regular white flour
1 packet instant apple oatmeal (sugar-free)\
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 1/2 tablespoons spreadable butter
1 14 cups warm water from tap
METHOD
Toast walnuts in dry skillet over medium heat until they are fragrant. Remove from skillet and set aside. Empty yeast into a small bowl. Add 1/4 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 cup water. Stir well and set aside until mixture starts to bubble. In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, white flour, instant oatmeal, salt, brown sugar, walnuts, raisins, and spreadable butter. Add yeast mixture and remaining 1 1/4 cup warm water. Mix well with wooden spoon. Turn dough onto floured board and knead for five minutes.
Coat a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, coat with cooking spray, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled. Turn dough onto floured board and cut in half with serrated knife. Form into two round loaves. Coat baking pan with cooking spray. Set loaves on pan, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise again until doubled. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Set pan on middle rack and bake bread for about 30 minutes, until they sound hollow. While bread is still warm, spread a little butter on top. Cool and slice into long strips with bread knife. Makes 2 loaves.



Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9471187

0 comments:

Post a Comment